Tuesday, April 20, 2010

of trains and tea and libraries


Last week I took a train trip, and a few weeks before that, I went to tea with a friend. In both cases, I was aware I was in pursuit of certain appealing ideas, and aware also that the realities of such pursuits are seldom what we imagine they'll be.

For people with a cinematic imagination there will always be a gap like this, but it will probably never stop me from making the effort to chase certain dreams. I'm perfectly aware the world is an imperfect place, and that's fine. I do what I can.

* * *

To be continued, including a review of the Chatsworth Tea Room, an account of my train trip to Los Angeles on the Surfliner bringing me to the Union Station lobby (where a television show was being filmed), and some closing comments, tying it all together.

LIBRARY UPDATE: A tempest-in-a-teapot has been peacefully resolved. I'm happy to report that my local library found the book I'd turned in weeks ago, apologized for the mistake and subsequent nastygram they sent, removed the bill for me to replace the book, and reversed all the erroneous late fees. This was handled quickly and politely. Thank you, Carmel Valley Public Library. I don't think I'll be using the night drop in the future, now that I know these errors can happen, but I'll certainly go back and use the library.

It may not be the quiet, stately brick edifice I remember from my childhood with its vast rooms and mysterious appeal (the Richmond public library, seen above), but it's a nice little place. And it beats buying every single book I'm interested in. I'm glad they didn't mar our new friendship with a lost book snafu.

Sometimes, things go well.

cheers,
bncg

2 comments:

Chris McClure aka Panhandle Poet said...

I think that I would lodge a protest and then pay the fine grudgingly -- perhaps with a sourly delivered, "that's the last time I'll check out a book here!"

:)

brenda cox giguere said...

Well, if nothing else, it's the last time I'll use the night drop. I'll pay for the lost book, but I'll (politely) let them know they should consider easing up on the harsh tone of their emails.

For good or for bad, libraries are probably on borrowed time, anyway. At least, in California.

b