Thursday, February 18, 2010

1969 journal tribute to apollo 11



My sense is that I wrote some sort of essay at the time, but the only thing in my actual journal turns out to be this little star-studded tribute in red ball point ink. It did deserve more than a single date's worth of space... note that I extended the entry through the next day.

My memory of that day lives here: Moon Landing Memories.

How far we have come. We barely seem to acknowledge the miracle of space stations, or blink an eye at shuttle takeoffs and landings. But some of us still look to the skies and remember the greatness of such dreams.

* * *

2 comments:

Mike Wilson said...

Holy smoke, B., I'm thrilled that you found the journal! I've been hoping it would turn up since first you mentioned it last summer during my lil' tribute to the 40th anniversary of Apollo 11. So cool!

brenda cox giguere said...

Thanks for the sincere enthusiasm, Mike. I was so pleased to find it. I could have sworn I'd tucked an essay into the journal, but at least my youthful, heartfelt entry was still there. Your tribute really got me excited about digging it up.

Seems like only yesterday.