Tuesday, February 16, 2010

reading list 1969


Before I post my reading list for this year, I'd like to take this opportunity to share my 1969 personal journal's last page (see above scan).

At the time, one of my primary considerations was creating an identity for myself as a thoughtful, well-read person. I had this recurring fantasy I would become a writer at a prodigiously young age, but first, I had some serious reading to do. Part of this came about because my reading and comprehension level was tested when I was a high school freshman in 1967, and I was subsequently told I measured at second year college level. Woo hoo! A prodigy for sure.

Surely if I did some heavy lifting (and Michener's The Source was a real doorstopper; I remember being impressed with myself for taking it on) I would begin to earn my place in the literary universe.

The path from Then to Now has been paved partly with good intentions, but also with indecision, immaturity, distraction, and an array of not atypical life choices I neither laud nor regret. Now, at the half century mark, I am finally getting around to writing My Book. Hurrah!

In the meantime, I read, both past and present tense. I have always done a lot of reading, probably not grounding myself with enough of the so-called classics, but my far-flung choice of reading material has always been a real pleasure and education.

It's been a while since I've been as organized about my reading as I was during my Junior year at Mt. Diablo High. So, partly in honor of my nearing completion of my fabled First Novel, and partly because it's a cool idea copied from my brilliant blogging friend Mike Wilson, I intend this year to have a reading list.

Onward!

to be continued


No comments: